Lot 59 (Imperial War Museum Duxford, 18th March 2020)
Registration No: Un-Reg
Chassis No: 40AH7995
Built by the Ruggles Motor Truck Co. of Saginaw, Michigan, in 1924, this Flatbed was discovered in Rosewood by L&M Nixon Transport of Ipswich in the 1960s where it was driving a saw bench. Following its acquisition from Nixons it was restored in 1990 and is now presented in burgundy livery. Unusual in the UK, it would make an ideal exhibit or show vehicle and is offered from long-term family ownership.
Ruggles Motor Truck Company of Saginaw, Michigan, USA, was founded in 1921 by Frank W Ruggles who had previously been manager at the Republic Truck Co. of Alma, Michigan. He obtained a riverside factory from the Saginaw Shipping Co., who had no contracts to build ships, in exchange for a $500,000 stake in his new company and truck production commenced shortly thereafter. A variety of ‘six’ and ‘four’ models were offered including a three-quarter ton ‘Go Getter’, dump trucks and heavy freight haulers all the way to a 29-seater bus. Business boomed until the mid-1920s when a combination of the flooded US truck market and loss of 200 trucks damaged by the 1928 Florida hurricane proved difficulties from which the company could not recover.