Sold for £19,125
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: 420 SPE
Chassis No: GHN92895
MOT: Oct 2021
Introduced in Autumn 1955, the MGA Roadster married a proven chassis design derived from its TD/TF predecessors to the new B-series four-cylinder, pushrod-ohv engine first seen in the Magnette saloon. Borrowing cues from the Abingdon factory's successful EX182 prototype racers (5th- and 6th-in-class at that year's Le Mans), its wonderfully elegant styling ensured strong sales on both sides of the Atlantic. Continually updated, the MGA range was joined by Coupe and 'Twin Cam' variants in 1956 and 1958 respectively. Prompted by the latter's performance advantage, the standard pushrod model received a capacity increase to 1588cc and front disc brakes in May 1959. Equipped with a four-speed manual gearbox and rack and pinion steering as standard, the resultant '1600' MKI was reputedly capable of 100mph plus.
1 of only 1,334 1600 MKI Roadsters made, ‘420 SPE’ is finished in Old English White with Red upholstery. A desirable ‘home market’ example, it has been in the current ownership since 2006. Understood to have benefited from an Ivor Searle reconditioned engine and offered with full weather equipment, rear luggage rack and history file, the MG is described by the vendor as being in ‘good’ condition with regards to its engine, transmission, electrical equipment, interior trim, bodywork and paintwork. It also comes with an MOT certificate valid into October 2021.
For more information, please contact: