Estimated at £52,000 - £56,000
Registration No: VLG777
Chassis No: 804144DN
‘VLG 777’ is finished in a deep shade of Blue, rides on colour-matched wire wheels and is trimmed in contrasting Red hide. A matching numbers car first registered in May 1955, it is one of only 843 such examples to have been equipped with righthand drive, so a relatively rare car. The subject to a bodywork restoration and repaint in c.2015, this venerable cat was treated to cylinder head work, new plugs and an oil/filter change in 2018. It has a pleasing patina and is currently considered by the vendor to have ‘good’ Coupe bodywork, paintwork, upholstery, straight-six engine and four-speed manual transmission. He is now offering the Jaguar complete with desirable electric fan, photos of the restoration, reproduction handbook, maintenance manual, book on XK Jaguars, and a collection of invoices and old MOT certificates.
Launched at the 1954 Motor Show, the XK140 boasted the same bewitching styling as its forebear but allied it to a host of mechanical improvements. Chief among these was the adoption of rack and pinion steering. Though, the fitment of telescopic shock absorbers (in place of the XK120's antiquated lever arm dampers) also had a noticeably beneficial effect on handling / roadholding. With its engine and bulkhead repositioned three inches further forward, the new model enjoyed a notably roomier cabin (the fixed and drophead coupe variants gaining occasional rear seats as a result). Available in 'standard', 'special equipment' or 'special equipment plus C-type cylinder head' guises, power and torque outputs ranged from a quoted 190bhp/210lbft to 210bhp/213lbft. Distinguished by its one-piece bumpers and simpler, more imposing radiator grille, the XK140 was among the fastest cars of its generation. Reputedly capable of over 130mph, it focused public consciousness on Jaguar's continued success at Le Mans (the Coventry marque winning the endurance classic in 1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957).
For more information, please contact: