Lot details Registration No: EO53ZHV Chassis No: WBSBL96010JC98267 Mot Expiry: Nov 2018
- For many the greatest roadgoing M3 yet made, just 422 E46 CSLs were UK-supplied
- Full BMW main agent service history and 81,000 miles from new (but looks much less)
- 355bhp/273lbft, SMG II transmission, claimed 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds, original book pack
For many marque enthusiasts, the E46-series CSL ('Coupe Sport Lightweight') is simply the best M3 yet made. Powered by a reworked version of the iconic 3246cc S54 straight-six DOHC engine (355bhp/273lbft) allied to six-speed SMG II transmission, the four-seater was reputedly capable of 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds and limited to 155mph. Undeniably fast, it was the way the E46-series CSL steered, stopped and handled that captivated enthusiasts.
The extensive use of carbonfibre-reinforced plastic (roof, front bumper support, bespoke front airdam, lower rear valance panel, handbrake surround, front seat backs and door cards), fibreglass-reinforced plastic (rear bumper supports, boot floor and rear bulkhead) and a thinner glass rear window all helped shave 110kg from the model's kerbweight. While, the combination of stiffer / shorter springs, revised shock absorber rates, thicker anti-roll bars, special aluminium rear suspension links and a quicker steering rack made for a notably more involving, responsive drive.
Just 1,383 E46-series CSLs were made to European specification between June and December 2003 (the 'holy grail' of M3s was not homologated for the US market). Of the 422 UK-supplied cars, 316 were finished in Silver Grey metallic and 106 in Black Sapphire metallic.
One of the 316 Silver Grey metallic cars, 'EO53 ZHV' is understood to have had its running-in service at 1,100 miles and to have been exclusively maintained by BMW dealers thereafter. Benefiting from a BMW sports exhaust and upgraded AP Racing brakes (with 6-pot callipers), the four-seater looks far fresher than many fifteen-year old cars with 81,000 recorded miles. Offered for sale with the aforementioned Full BMW Service History, this much-loved E46-series CSL is worthy of close inspection.
PLEASE NOTE: This lot has been serviced as follows:
- BMW Lind Colchester (Running-in 1,186 miles, 12,950 miles)
- BMW Sytner Harold Wood (24,742 miles)
- BMW Stephen James Blackheath (36,383 miles, 47,577 miles, 59,219 miles)
- Bexley Motor Works BMW Specialist (71,092 miles)
- Car Craft Scotland Ltd (78,120 miles, 78,990 miles, 79,234 miles, 80,480 miles, 80,937 miles)
- QSP Porsche Specialist (81,166 miles)
A typewritten summary by its penultimate registered keeper states that the car features various upgrades including:
- Engine re-mapped to 385bhp
- Free flow catalytic converter
- Stainless steel back box
- KW Clubsport suspension
- AP Racing brakes
Some of the above work was carried out by Thorney Motorsport