Lot details Registration No: Un-Reg Chassis No: S824809 Mot Expiry: None
Last flowering of the separate chassis XK sportscar line, the XK150 was introduced in 1957. A more sophisticated and refined design than its forebears, the newcomer could be had with a choice of 3.4-litre or 3.8-litre DOHC straight-six engines (in various states of tune) allied to either four-speed manual or three-speed automatic transmission. A popular choice, the Special Equipment ('SE') 3.4-litre models boasted a B-type cylinder head, 210bhp, wire wheels, front foglights and a twin exhaust system as standard. Only in production for four years, the total number of 'home market' Fixed Head Coupes has been estimated at just 1,205.
Originally finished in Dark Green with Green leather upholstery, this particular manual example was first registered as 'JYO 1' on April 10th 1959 to Mrs Florence Collinge of Blackburn. Re-registered as '345 HAJ' when she sold it to Gordon Armstrong (Hull) Ltd some six years later, the Special Equipment model then passed to Donald Forster of Hurworth before entering the current (fourth) ownership during September 1966. Used by the vendor's late husband to commute to and from the family business, a seafront-located butcher's shop, the Jaguar had developed visible rust spots after a year or so. Taken off the road as a consequence, the XK150 was subsequently stripped for restoration. Work progressed slowly and despite some structural repairs not to mention the fitting of new sills, door skins and wings (the front ones being a bespoke commission), the Fixed Head Coupe still requires a considerable amount of refurbishment. On the plus side, it appears to be substantially complete and retains its original 3.4 litre engine (number V6519-8). Coming to market for the first time in forty-six years and showing an unwarranted 58,955 miles to the odometer, this appealing restoration project is accompanied by its original buff logbook and sundry DVLA correspondence dating from 1984.