Launched in April 1935, the BSA Scout quickly developed a reputation for amazingly sure-footed cornering thanks to its admirably low centre of gravity and advanced front wheel-drive. Based around a conventional ladder frame chassis equipped with independent transverse-leaf front suspension, a 'live' rear axle and drum brakes, the newcomer was powered by an 1075cc (later 1204cc) four-cylinder engine allied to three-speed manual transmission. Available in either two-seater or four-seater guises, lighter variants of the model were reputedly capable of nigh on 70mph. Arriving in October 1938, the final Series 6 cars sported 'easy clean' wheels and an improved engine design with a better lubricated three-bearing crankshaft, more water jacketing, larger valves and a downdraught carburettor. Production of the Series 6 was curtailed by the outbreak of World War Two making survivors few and far between today.