Sold for £5,850
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: GVT 646
Chassis No: Y254735
PLEASE NOTE: This lot is now offered with No Reserve
In the immediate post-war years and for quite some time afterwards, mainstream sports cars were simply beyond the fiscal reach of most enthusiasts and most new cars were destined for export. Because of this, the Specials (or Kit Car) movement was born. Frederick E. Martin became Martin Plastics Maidstone LTD in 1953, and are thought to be one of the first to offer glass-fibre shells, second only to R.G.S. Still trading today under Martin Coachworks Ltd, the company built approximately 500 cars, but only 5 are thought to have survived to this day.
GVT 646 was registered in 1962 with the body purchased in 1956 and utilises a 1939 Ford Prefect as the donor car with a Ford 100E 1172cc sidevalve engine paired with twin SU carbs. Subject to restoration finishing c.2016, GVT comes accompanied with a number of historic invoices, informative documents and the V5C. The vendor rates the condition of the engine, electrical equipment, paintwork, transmission and gearbox and interior trim as ‘Good’, with the bodywork ‘Very good’.
For more information, please contact: