Sold for £7,875
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: UN-Reg
Chassis No: 3490
Estimate: £8,000 - £10,000
Motor Car Location: Lincolnshire
First seen in 1950, the Morgan Plus 4 was a larger and more powerful derivative of the company's 4/4 and remained in production on and off for seventy years. Up until 1969, it was powered by the four-cylinder engines found in the Triumph TR range, which were mated to a four-speed manual gearbox with well-spaced ratios. The rakish body was mounted on a variant of Morgan's familiar Z-section chassis, underslung at the rear. The suspension was independent by sliding pillars and coil springs at the front and a live axle on semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Braking was by drums all-round and steering by a Burman cam and selector system. As tested by Autosport's John Bolster, the 100bhp 1991cc Triumph-engined Plus Four would accelerate to 60mph in 9.6 seconds and on to a top speed of a whisker under 105mph.
Manufactured in 1956 and despatched on the 15th of May 1956 to Fergus Motors of New York, America, chassis 3490 was originally fitted with the 2.0-litre straight-four Triumph TR3 engine allied to the four-speed manual transmission and finished in Ivory with Black upholstery. Spending some time located in Vancouver, Canada, the Morgan is understood to have been found by a previous keeper in a state of disrepair in approximately 1974 before being provided a twelve-year restoration.
Remaining today in left-hand-drive configuration but fitted with a later TR3A engine, the Plus 4 is offered as a running restoration project, with the Morgan having already benefitted from an engine and brake overhaul. Accompanied by a quantity of photographs from the Morgans time in the Americas, documentation relating to the import of the Morgan, a Morgan Motor Company dating letter and a NOVA document. A notably early example and a worthy restoration project.
For more information, please contact: