Wed, 16th Mar 2022 13:00

Imperial War Museum, Duxford

 
  Lot 10
 

c.1972 Land Rover Series IIA 109
THIS LOT IS NOW OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE

Sold for £5,625

(including buyers premium)


Lot details

Registration No: AWU 428K
Chassis No: 25122018H
MOT: September 2022

  • Ex-MOD vehicle first registered in 1972
  • Included with the vehicle is the original military telephone complete with back
  • Comes accompanied with documentation including a military user's manual, including a chapter detailing how to de-commission the vehicle should the car fall into enemy hands

A sympathetic update of its much loved predecessor, the Land Rover Series II was introduced in April 1958. Featuring sill panels and a rounded wing / belt line, the newcomer’s sleeker sheetmetal was the work of David Bache and clothed an improved chassis. As well as better rear wheel articulation and sharper steering, the Series II boasted wider axles and a new gearbox (complete with synchromesh on 3rd and 4th gears). Available with a choice of 2.25-litre petrol or 2-litre diesel four-cylinder engines, the Land Rover could be had in 88-inch or 109-inch wheelbase guises (though, the SWB model made do with a petrol 2-litre unit until September 1958). A popular model, the Series II accounted for some 62,000 sales in its first two years of production. Announced in 1961, the subtly upgraded Series IIA benefited from an improved cooling system and the arrival of a 2.25-litre diesel engine. A 2.6-litre six-cylinder petrol engine was added to the 109-inch range for 1967. Export models had their headlamps repositioned in the front wings the following year with domestic Landies gaining the same revised visage for 1969. Phased out of production in 1971, the Series IIA is judged by some to be the most durable Series Land Rover ever made. As much part of the British Army as a regular soldier, Land Rovers have played their part in the military around the world for decades and are still in service today.

This ex Ministry of Defence army vehicle is believed to have been in service c.1972, but first used ‘civilianised’ in 1985. Presented in a military Green (possibly NATO Green), with contrasting Black vinyl seats, ‘AWU 428K’ comes accompanied with an MOT valid until 12 September 2022 with no advisories. Also included with the vehicle is the original military telephone with canvas bag, two spare upper doors still in boxes and documentation including a military users manual, complete with a chapter detailing how to de-commission the vehicle should the car fall into enemy hands. The vendor rates the condition of the interior trim as ‘average’, the bodywork, electrical equipment, paintwork and transmission as ‘good’, with the engine ‘good to very good’.

For more information, please contact:
Andreas Hicks
andreas.hicks@handh.co.uk
07943584762

 

Do you have an item like this?

If so, contact us for a free valuation by one of our specialists.

Contact Us Today!

 

Images

Drag and drop .jpg images here to upload, or click here to select images.