Lot 58 (Imperial War Museum Duxford, 16th October 2019)
Sold for £40,500
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: AUA 170
Chassis No: D10727
Mot Expiry: Exempt
- Campaigned before WW2 as the Zwick Rapier on the Land's End, Exeter and Edinburgh Trails etc
- Raced at Goodwood, Silverston and Great Auclum after WW2 by John Marshall, Margaret 'Peggy' Harman and AC Griffiths
- Winner of the Lagonda Club's prestigious Arthur Fox Trophy in 1958 whilst owned by Rapier exponent Joe Branson
Beginning life as an Abbott-bodied Tourer, chassis D10727 was first road registered as `AUA 170' by Leeds County Council on August 10th 1934. Passing to aspiring trials driver Maurice Zwick of the North West London Motor Club two years later (who renaming himself Maurice Wick after World War Two would go on to contest no fewer than five Monte Carlo rallies), the Lagonda soon proved a competitive mount. Buoyed by taking bronze, silver and gold medals on the Land's End, Exeter and Edinburgh Trials respectively during 1937, Zwick had the Rapier rebodied (from the bulkhead back) and supercharged ahead of the following season. With little to show for his endeavours in 1938 besides a bronze medal on the Exeter Trial and a second-in-class on the MGCC's Abingdon Trial, he side-lined `AUA 170' thereafter storing it at Thompson & Taylor's Brooklands premises during World War Two. Purchased by local Weybridge garage owner John Marshall, the Lagonda was converted into a circuit racer - complete with lightweight body and strengthened engine internals - in time to enter the 1st BARC Goodwood Race Meeting on 18th September 1948. Campaigned by subsequent keeper Mrs Margaret `Peggy' Harman in 1949-1950 at Silverstone and Great Auclum etc, she entrusted its maintenance to Maurice Leo who fitted a replacement engine block amongst other fettling. Initially used by next owner Joe Branson as a daily commuter, he went on to win the Lagonda Club's prestigious Arthur Fox Trophy aboard `AUA 170' during 1958. Somewhat tired by the time Charles Hoskins of Market Rasen acquired it, restoration work on the two-seater began in the 1980s and had yet to be completed when the late vendor took custodianship in 2004. Believed to be in good overall condition albeit in need of recommissioning prior to use, this historic Rapier Special is offered for sale with original owner's handbook, history file and sundry spares (including alternatives to the quad Amal carburettors currently fitted).
PLEASE NOTE: Robin Hunter of Hunters Car Transportation Services has got this lot running and driving since collecting it. A short video of the car in motion is available upon request.