Lot details Registration No: RFY 96 Chassis No: YD1/2119 Mot Expiry: None
Keen to extract more power from its 1588cc MGA engine, BMC began evolving a DOHC version of the B-Series unit in 1954. The Twin-Cam's specification of chain-driven camshafts nestling atop a cross-flow alloy cylinder head augured well, and the 108bhp newcomer was capable of 0-60mph in 9.1 seconds and a top speed of 115mph. With Dunlop disc brakes all-round it stopped efficiently too. Nevertheless production was ceased after just two years, by when only 1,801 Roadsters had been manufactured, making surviving examples rare and sought after today.
This right-hand drive, home market Twin-Cam Roadster was acquired by the vendor's father in 1969, who used it for a short time before placing it in storage, where it remained for the next 27 years. At this stage a bodywork refurbishment programme was commenced by J&G Classic Car Restoration Services of Dolgellau. Since the MG's return to the family in 2008 it has been stored once more. The vendor currently rates the restored bodywork and gearbox as "good", the interior trim as "original" and the engine (which has benefited from a degree of overhaul) as "running but in need of attention". Finished in Red and trimmed in Red-piped Black leather, `RFY 96' is being sold with restoration photos / invoices but without MOT.