Lot details Registration No: JMB 172 Chassis No: TC2549 Mot Expiry: Exempt
- Said to have had a full nut and bolt restoration
- Correct fittings and features
- Home market RHD car
This truly splendid home market TC has self-evidently been the subject of a painstaking and accurate nut and bolt restoration, leaving it perhaps the best example currently available. The scuttle is correctly finished in Cream rather than the body colour, that is so often the case. The correct horn and spotlight are present, as is (unusually) the working 30mph warning light on the facia. A full set of contrasting weather equipment is included and located in the storage box behind the seats, while the MG rides on immaculate Silver-painted wire wheels shod with Dunlop tyres - another nice touch is the fitment of the optional 'Midge' radiator cap. The vendor, an enthusiastic MG collector, acquired the TC in 2013 and is only the fourth owner of the car, which retains the registration issued to it by Cheshire county council in May 1947. As the under-bonnet area and underside of the car present as well as the more visible parts, it is no surprise that the vendor classes 'JMB 172' as excellent in all major respects.
The TC was announced within five weeks of the end of WWII. The newcomer featured the familiar dual-cowl dashboard, fold-flat windscreen, cutaway doors, swept wings and rear mounted spare wheel of its predecessor. The major change was the welcome 4in increase in the width of the cockpit. Other refinements included: improved sidescreens, the replacement of the twin six volt batteries with a bulkhead-mounted 12 volt one, the fitting of hydraulic lever arm dampers, and improved mountings for the semi-elliptic leaf springs. Power came from MG's proven 1250cc OHV XPAG unit, a slight rise in compression ratio lifting output to 54.4bhp and raising the top speed to almost 80mph. Though only available in RHD, it was exported worldwide, with exactly 10,000 examples produced before the model was replaced by the TD in 1950.