Lot 12 (Imperial War Museum Duxford, 18th March 2020)
Registration No: OSL 240
Chassis No: TC8603
Built on May 3rd 1949 as an export model, chassis TC8603 was repatriated some fifty-one years later and extensively restored. Having owned a similarly hued MG TC in his youth, the vendor purchased 'OSL 240' from marque specialist Terry Bone in late 2013 for £26,500. Determined to make the two-seater 'a delight to drive' that was in 'as near original condition as possible', he spent a further £14,000 and countless man hours improving it. Gareth Burnett's Pace Racing were responsible for thoroughly overhauling the front suspension, gearbox and back axle and also for setting-up and tuning the original engine once it had been rejuvenated and converted for unleaded fuel by Ivor Searle. XPAG Engineering fully refurbished the steering box. New front shock absorbers were fitted with those at the rear being rejuvenated and complimented by new leaf springs. The brake master cylinder was replaced, the drums relined and the pipes renewed. The bodywork was treated for rust and the panels resprayed, while the petrol tank was steam cleaned and given a chemical liner. The Beige leather seats were deemed to be in good order but the panels were recovered. The dashboard frame was replaced and the dashboard itself restored including a full service of the speedometer. The car is complete with a new fawn hood, half tonneau and side screens as well as an unused starting handle. A new wiring loom was installed (the system now using 12-volt, negative earth electrics) along with correct-type headlamps. The side lights have LED indicators fitted into the original housings and electronic ignition has been installed (but the original points will be available with the car). The wire wheels were shot blasted and powder coated in silver before being shod with fresh Blockley tyres. Much more work has been undertaken on this very useable vehicle details of which are contained within the large history file.
Sold for £23,062
(including buyers premium)