1960 Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 Litre Drophead Coupe - Estimate £170,000 - £190,000
One of the very best examples of this 1960 Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 Litre Drophead Coupe. One of just 69 RHD cars built. When the next H&H Classic sale at the Imperial War Museum Duxford on June 22 is complete the new owners of this magnificent race-bred car will drive off with something that stamped British engineering dominance and style onto the Swinging Sixties. Its performance was on a par with rival Aston Martin, Maserati and Ferrari offerings.
The 1950s saw Jaguar win the world's greatest endurance race - the Le Mans 24-hours - more times (five) than any other manufacturer. A blend of existing and new technology, the XK150 was the Coventry firm's last model to feature a separate chassis but its first to be available with four-wheel disc brakes. Unveiled in 1959, the range-topping 3.8 litres 'S' could be had in Roadster, Fixed Head Coupe or Drophead Coupe guises (the latter being the most expensive). With a quoted 265bhp and 260lbft of torque on tap thanks to its straight-port cylinder head and triple SU carburettors, Jaguar's flagship sportscar could only be had with a four-speed manual plus overdrive transmission. Reputedly capable of 0-60mph in 7.6 seconds and 141mph. Decidedly rare, total right-hand drive XK150 'S' 3.8-litre Drophead Coupe production amounted to just 69 cars.
Damian Jones, Head of Sales at H&H Classics says of this car:
“Currently displaying a highly credible 73,000 miles, this undeniably rare and stylish Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 litre Drophead Coupe is offered for sale with V5C Registration Document and large history file. A worthy addition to any marque collection.”
Supplied new by Boon & Porter of London SW13 to Fomento (Sterling Area) of London W1, it was owned by army officer Major Alexander for two decades (1965 - c.1985) who kept meticulous servicing/maintenance logs.
With a highly desirable manually operated overdrive it was valued by the JEC at £225,000 and described as 'one of the very best examples of this model'. It was fitted with a factory reconditioned, correct-type 'VAS' engine ‘in period’.
According to its accompanying Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, Chassis No. T827585DN was supplied new by Boon & Porter of London SW13 to Fomento (Sterling Area) Ltd; a company which did much to popularise the ballpoint pen.
Issued with the highly appropriate registration number ‘150 PPJ’ and further boasting the more desirable transmission tunnel actuated overdrive, the Jaguar had passed to Major Armstrong of the 50 Field Squadron Royal Engineers by late 1965.
A meticulous individual, the Major documented his two-decade-long ownership of three Army Books. The first mileage noted for MMA (Motor Mileage Allowance) purposes is 8,748, while other early entries include a Dinitrol rustproofing treatment, brake system overhaul by Rob Walker Ltd and the installation of a winter thermostat. The original 3.8 litre S engine (VAS 1197-8) was seized on June 6th, 1969, at 34,860 with the XK150 being recovered to main dealer Rossleigh of Glasgow for appraisal. The actual repairs were carried out by the Cumberland Garage of Edinburgh but proved unsatisfactory. Thus, the second of the three Army Books tells us that ‘150 PPJ’ was fitted with a factory-reconditioned engine (VAS 1159-9) and gearbox during October 1969 at an indicated 37,473 miles. The straight-six engine in question is understood to have originated in one of the sixty-eight sister cars (Chassis No. T827551DN).
Relocating to West Germany in 1971, the Drophead Coupe was treated to a bodywork restoration two years later. The run-up on a regular basis even when off the road, the last of Major Armstrong’s entries is at 50,306 recorded miles on 23rd October 1984.
Joining Cheshire businessman Michael Sutton’s collection five years later, the Jaguar had only added a further 10,000 or so miles to its odometer by the time it entered the current ownership during 2005. Maintained by marque specialists Ivydene for both Mr Sutton and the vendor with various complimentary handwritten reports on file, other companies to have worked on the XK150 include: M.R. Murfitt Motor Engineers of Stoke-on-Trent (engine overhaul 2009), KRJ Trimmers (2011), Guy Broad (power steering conversion, new clutch, 2017) and Aldridge Trimming Ltd (2018). Entrusted to SJB Classic Cars of Tarporley since 2020, ‘150 PPJ’ has benefited from new engine mounts, replacement carburettor gaskets and an uprated hi-torque starter motor.
Assessed by Graham Searle - the Jaguar Enthusiasts’ Club Ltd’s Official Insurance Valuer – in February 2020, his associated letter states that:
‘The car is in excellent condition and maintained to the highest standards. It is the very rare S specification model and as such probably the most desirable of all the XKs. It benefits from a new interior by the leading specialists and is now one of the very best examples of this model. Therefore, in my opinion, it should be insured for £225,000’.
Full details of this lot can be found here: 1960 Jaguar: 1960 Jaguar XK150 S 3.8 Litre Drophead Coupe