Love Affairs With Bentley's Last Decades - Two Much Loved Bentleys Go On Sale

At H&H Classics Duxford Auction October 19th

04/08/2022    

1925 Bentley 3 Litre Speed Model Vanden Plas Tourer - Current family ownership for 82 years – first owned by Charles Kennedy, late 5th Marquess of Ailsa - Estimate £160,000 - £180,000

One of the most beloved British automotive marques, Bentley tends to stay with their owners for generations, rather than mere years – judging by these two cars.

At the H&H Classics sale at Duxford on October 19th, there will be a very privileged opportunity to acquire one of these magnificent and much-loved survivors to remain in a new family for decades.

This 1925 Bentley 3 Litre Speed Model Vanden Plas Tourer was purchased by the vendor's father shortly after the outbreak of WW2 and used in the Ministry of Aircraft Production business during the hostilities. The car was originally sold new to Charles Kennedy, late 5th Marquess of Ailsa and issued with the Glasgow registration number 'GB 8075'.

The car is in original albeit much weathered Vanden Plas coachwork, complete with Bentley Motors ID plaque and chalk marking. Very much in Bentley’s spotlight, it was invited to participate in the 2022 Isle of Man TT, 3-Litre Bentley Centenary celebrations.

1949 Bentley Mk VI Saloon in current ownership since 1968 - Estimate £20,000 - £25,000

In the ownership of the late vendor for some fifty-four years and only five private keepers from new, this lovely car has been serviced annually by the late vendor, who was a well-regarded engineer in Rolls-Royce Nuclear. It comes with the original 'buff'-style log book.

Introduced in 1946, Bentley's MkVI was the first vehicle ever offered by the company with factory-designed coachwork, and the first to be assembled in Rolls-Royce's Crewe factory rather than the old Derby premises. Aimed at the emerging 'owner-driver' luxury car market, the newcomer was closely based on the 1939 MkV (of which only fifteen were produced). Built around a massive cruciform-braced chassis with independent front suspension and a leaf-sprung 'live' rear axle, it was fitted with a freshly developed 4257cc OISE (overhead inlet side exhaust valve) straight-six engine mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. Capable of over 100mph when clad in the factory's understated 'standard steel saloon' coachwork, the MKVI quickly developed a reputation for being a refined yet responsive drive.

Manufactured in 1949, the MkVI offered was registered new as ‘KUC 736’ to Jack Barclay Ltd of W1 London before being supplied through ‘Bentley Special Retailers’ P. J. Evans Ltd. of Birmingham to the first private keeper, a C. J. Mackay Esq. of Edgbaston. Finished in complementing two-tone Silver Grey over Midnight Blue paintwork, with Tan interior upholstery, the Bentley was purchased by the late vendor in 1968 from the fourth private keeper, equating to a mere five private owners from new. With a recorded mileage of just 46,004 miles at the time of consignment, the Bentley ran well during our visit.

Next Blog