Supplied new to Gerald Corcoran, chairman and owner of the highly influential Alex Reid & Lefevre Fine Art Gallery, this stunning 1960 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II is for sale with H&H Classics at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, on May 26th, for an estimate of £30,000 to £40,000.
The car has a known ownership history from new and is thought to have covered just 69,000 miles (with accompanying MOTs dating back to 1978). It retains most of its original interior trim complete with rear picnic tables.
Notable as the first Rolls Royce to be powered by a V8 engine (descendants of which have only recently ceased production), the Silver Cloud II was faster and more powerful than its visually near identical predecessor. Introduced in 1959 and hand-built to the same exacting standards, the newcomer remained in production for four years with just 2,717 examples being sold worldwide.
Ordered with a number of special features including: a GB plate, Lucas wing mirrors, electric windows, whitewall tyres and additional high frequency horns operated via a footswitch, chassis SWC384 was supplied new via Jack Barclay Ltd to Gerald Stuart Corcoran Esq on 26th September 1960.
Chairman and owner of Alex Reid & Lefevre, one of London’s most celebrated fine art dealers, Mr Corcoran kept the Rolls Royce for three years. Thereafter the Silver Cloud II belonged to Colonel Hingston (and family), John Fox, Nigel Howard, Nicholas Stow and Richard Yeldon before entering the current ownership during 2019. Entrusted to marque specialist Colbrook of Peterborough for a bare metal bodywork restoration, replated brightwork and new stainless steel exhaust in 2005-2006, the vendor has used the same firm to carry out over £4,700 worth of servicing and improvement work during his tenure including the fitment of new exhaust manifolds.
Carrying number ‘310 HYT’ it is believed to have covered just 69,000 miles from new (a figure corroborated by old MOTs dating back to 1978 whilst it was in Col. Hingston’s care). Still highly presentable and a credit to Colbrook’s workmanship, we estimate that having a similar level of bodywork renovation done today could quite easily exceed the guide price. Offered for sale with history file, MOT valid until August 2021, restoration photos and RREC copy build records.
The Corcoran family have been involved in the Art Market since the 1930’s when Gerald Corcoran began to deal privately from his home in Shepherd’s Market. Their involvement with the Lefevre Gallery began in 1947 when Gerald was recruited by A.J. McNeil Reid to revive Alex Reid & Lefevre after the war. Gerald later became its Chairman and owner followed by his son Desmond and between them they presided over the firm’s golden years. His grandson Alexander is now the Chairman of Lefevre Fine Art.
Lefevre Fine Art is still located in Bruton Street, in the heart of London’s West End; though less public than before, we are committed to the reputation for excellence the name Lefevre stood for. The firm deals in the same field although the emphasis has moved on to the 20th Century Masters.
The gallery exhibits Impressionist and Modern art, with such ground-breaking shows as: George Seurat in May 1926, Henri Matisse in June 1927, Degas June 1928, Modigliani in March 1929, Pablo Picasso in June 1931, Renoir June 1935, Cezanne July 1935, Dali June/July 1936, Francis Bacon in 1945, Calder in January 1951, Balthus in January 1952, Kandinski in 1972,The Complete Sculptures' of Degas in 1976, Picasso Sketchbooks' in 1994 and many others.