Lot details Registration No: AVK521B Chassis No: 7603797A Mot Expiry: July 2007
Launched in 1949 as the Rover company's first all new post-war car design, the 75 or 'P4' in Rover design terminology, was considered to be a seriously radical new design for the conservative company. Rover had always been considered the epitome of British middle class respectability, however designer Maurice Wilks was said to be heavily influenced by the then current Studebaker range in designing the P4, so much so that he imported a 1948 Champion and fitted the body to a P4 chassis! The resultant shape with its slab sides and unusual 'cyclops eye' centrally mounted spotlamp was right up to date as was the steering column mounted gearchange, although these latter 2 features were to disappear as the car was refined over the years. The advanced design proved its worth by continuing in production right up until 1964, even though it had been nominally superseded by the equally advanced 2000 'P6' a year before that.
Continually refined and updated throughout its production run in the usual Rover fashion, a variety of engines were fitted from the 1997cc Land Rover engine in the 60 up to the 2625cc seven-bearing unit found in the 95, 100 and 110. The ultimate (and today most sought-after) P4 was the 110, launched in 1962 with a 123 bhp version of the 2625cc unit and standard overdrive together with subtle wheel rim trims to distinguish it from the outside. It is one of the last 110 models, registered in March 1964, that we are pleased to be able to offer here today. Finished in maroon with claret leather interior, the recorded mileage of just over 91,000 miles is believed but not guaranteed to be correct. We are told that no expense was spared in the full bare metal body refurbishment of this car by Ely Services, with all new panels including 2 new steel front wings. Described as 'very good' in most respects by the vendor the current MOT is valid until July 2007.