Lot details Registration No: YW 16 Chassis No: SM9091 Mot Expiry: None
Although entirely English, Lagonda began as the product of an American-born singer, one Wilbur Gunn, his marque gaining it's name after a creek running through Springfield, Ohio. It was in 1925 that Arthur Davidson's designed famous 14/60 was launched, which was not unlike the later 12/24 of 1926 in appearance, though was powered by a brand new engine with twin camshafts mounted high in the cylinder block operating overhead valves in fully-machined hemispherical combustion chambers.
Of 1954cc capacity, the new Lagonda four-cylinder power unit could produce an impressive for the day 60bhp. The 14/60 was re-named the 2-Litre for 1928, a Speed Model version with light, four-seater, open tourer bodywork having a raised compression ratio and twin carbs and a 75mph top speed potential. This poor man's Bentley 3-Litre looked much the same as the Cricklewood-made rival, but cost half the price.
Being auctioned here is one such Lagonda 2-Litre Speed Model, although in the case of this particular car, the provenance has been greatly enhanced by having been raced when new at Brooklands by competitor A Blacklock, the photo in the catalogue showing YW 16 ready to compete at the famous pre-war racing circuit.
Always a well known motor car in Lagonda circles, chassis number SM 9091 was extensively driven and enjoyed during the 1950s by `Doc' Peter Evans, the Northern Co-ordinator of the Lagonda Club. In 1962, it was acquired directly from him by the current owner and vendor who employed the open tourer as an everyday means of transport. Indeed, he tells us that he has many happy memories of the car. Being a keen motor racing enthusiast, he used to drive it from the North West to watch the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, particularly enjoying the trip to the 1963 race, as well as to spectate at lesser Club meetings at Aintree and Oulton Park. After a few years, however, and now he says with regret, he sold it in order to fund his own racing project.
Having changed hands a couple of times, the car had become rather tired by the 1960s when bought by its next owner who commenced, though never completed a restoration. After about twelve years, and in much the same condition, it was purchased again by the current owner with the thought that his young son might carry out the renovation and bring the car back to its former and once splendid condition. Unfortunately, this refurbishment never happened as the youngster became more interested in karting which explains why, once again, the motor car is on the market today!
Included in this 1920s sporting classic's history file are various photographs from when the vendor first owned the car in the 1960s as well as a 1928 Brooklands photo showing the car with its original YW 16 registration, which also appears in an original buff logbook charting registered owners back to the 1950s and a DVLA V5 registration document. Here is a truly historic late 1920s project and an affordable one too.
PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle is a non runner.