Lot details Registration No: LUH929F Chassis No: 1J10627 Mot Expiry: Nov 2005
It was in 1956 that Jaguar Cars founder, Bill Lyons, later to become Sir William Lyons, launched a new generation of more compact saloons, discarding the separate chassis and body in favour of a unitary construction bodyshell, the first of a long line being the 2.4-litre Mk1. A year later, an additional 3.4 version was offered and, by the late 1950s, an even more rapid, disc-braked 3.8 Mk2 appeared. The legendary 3442cc XK engine was also employed to power the restyled 340 four-door saloon with minor specification modifications from 1967.
This 240 right-hand drive saloon first left Jaguar's Browns Lane, Coventry factory in 1968. The owner advises us that the 2.4-litre six-cylinder powered four-door has been in receipt of a substantial restoration from the bodyshell upwards and this has included a colour change from white to the current black, which is rated by the vendor as being in excellent condition.
This car has the benefit of such extras as wire wheels, spot and fog lamps as well as picnic tables in the red leather trimmed interior, which is said also to be in excellent condition. The 2483cc capacity twin cam six has been converted to better accommodate unleaded fuel and is currently claimed to be in excellent order as are the four-speed manual gearbox and the electrical equipment.
A rebuild file and handbooks are included as are the current MOT certificate, which is valid until November, and a historic vehicle tax disc, which will not require renewal until next February.