Estimated at £14,000 - £16,000
Registration No: Un-Reg
Chassis No: UN1362
Sold new to Australia for use by a produce merchant of Windsor, NSW, this Flatbed appears to have remained in the Sydney area being discovered in unrestored condition by a body shop in Gosford, north of Broken Bay, NSW, in 1980. It was subsequently restored on the coast being completed around 1989. Believed to have always been bodied as a truck, it is liveried in green with black wings and red artillery wheels. Although yet to be UK registered, it has been used in the Derbyshire set BBC period TV drama ‘The Village’ and is offered from long-term family ownership.
The British firm of Bean Cars was founded in Dudley in 1919, when Harper, Sons & Bean acquired the manufacturing rights for the pre-WW1 Perry. The company had ambitions to emulate the mass production techniques of Henry Ford, with a mix of cars from 1919 and commercial vehicles from 1924. Both 25cwt and 30 cwt chassis were offered although, despite some initial successes, the momentum was not sustainable. The company was placed into receivership in June 1931 and the Tipton factory was forced to close its doors.