Lot details Registration No: UN-REG Chassis No: A37665M Mot Expiry: None
"In brief, the two-litre Lagonda may be said to combine the lively performance of a sports car with the quiet manners and convenience of a tourer, the result being a vehicle which is a sheer delight to handle, while it will convey four people in comfort over long distances at a high average speed" (Autocar, 16th December 1927)
Some two years after its 1925 Motor Show launch, the Lagonda 14/60 morphed into the Two-Litre High Chassis model. Built around a sturdy ladder frame chassis equipped with semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension and four-wheel drum brakes, it was powered by the same 1954cc engine as its predecessor. Designed by Arthur Davidson, this imposing looking four-cylinder unit featured twin high-mounted camshafts and fully machined hemispherical combustion chambers. Developing some 60bhp @ 3,500rpm, it was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox and gave a top speed of between 70mph and 80mph (depending on the style of coachwork fitted).
One of the longest standing members of the collection, this particular example is bodied as a three-door, four-seater fabric covered tourer. Finished in dark green with matching leather upholstery and brown carpets, its German silver radiator shell is flanked by nickel-plated Lucas headlamps. Boasting an engine-turned aluminium instrument binnacle to its wooden dashboard, other nice details include the four Lagonda branded step-plates, torpedo sidelights and Toby Mitchell diver's bell rear lights. Fitted with a single SU carburettor, Jones Autovac, magneto ignition, water pump and (later) electric fan, its powerplant is stamped with both 'S877' and 'OH1164'. Although, dated to 1934 on an accompanying copy Dutch logbook, we believe this Lagonda to have been manufactured in circa 1928.
PLEASE NOTE: The hood frame and weather gear are now with this lot.