Sold for £14,625
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: ETP585
Chassis No: 53135
First registered in Portsmouth on July 11th 1949 (or so its ‘ETP 585’ number plated would imply), chassis 53135 pleasingly retains its original Foursome Drophead Coupe coachwork by Barker. Capable of being driven with its hood in fully open, enclosed or Sedanca positions, the Daimler is described by the vendor as being in ‘good’ condition with regard to its 2.5 litre OHV straight-six engine, four-speed pre-selector transmission, electrical equipment, paintwork and interior trim (while, he rates the bodywork as ‘very good’). Entering the current ownership during June 2017, the DB18 has since been treated to a new stainless-steel exhaust, replacement windscreen, fresh tyres all round and refurbished rear springs. Starting readily on inspection, ‘ETP 585’ ran well en route to the photography location. Offered for sale with V5C Registration Document and sundry paperwork.
Though Daimler's DB18 model was introduced in 1939, most examples were manufactured post-WW2. Known as the 2½ litre or Consort, it was available in a variety of open and closed guises (though, most were bodied as four-door saloons). Foursome Drophead Coupe designs were produced by both Tickford and Barker, while the latter coachbuilder was also responsible for a more rakish Special Sports derivative. Powered by a six-cylinder OHV engine of 2522cc, the DB18 could reach 50mph in 17.9 seconds and some 76mph flat out.