Lot details Registration No: YYM 47 Chassis No: WDB1210408501147 Mot Expiry: Jan 2005
Launched at the 1955 Frankfurt Motor Show, at a time when the Mercedes-Benz name was once again beginning to dominate the racing scene, as it had done in the pre-war era, the still attractive 190SL roadster looked very similar to its big sister, the 300SL, although it was aimed at a much more affordable level. The 190SL was based on the 180 saloon of 1953 and was the first car on which Mercedes-Benz used a unitary construction body/chassis. The 190SL sported all round coil spring suspension and power assisted drum brakes.
Performance came from a 1897cc version of the 180 saloon's four-cylinder engine which, via twin Solex carburettors, produced 120bhp at 5700rpm and 101lb/ft at 3800rpm. Allied to a four-speed manual gearbox, this endowed the sleek, aerodynamic and comparatively light 190SL with a 115mph top speed and 0-60mph acceleration in a respectable 13 seconds.
The 190SL offered here today first left the Stuttgart works in 1958. The two-seater roadster with 1.9-litre four-cylinder motor and four-speed manual gearbox, finished in Astral Silver with grey leather interior, is such an outstanding example, claims the vendor, that it is worthy of being part of a Museum collection, not only gorgeous to look at, but also being super to drive. On file is total history for this left-hand drive beauty from day one, starting with an original buff logbook. The 39,077 miles displayed when entered is believed by him to be the total mileage from new. The vendor defies you to find a better example.