Lot 343 (A|B|C Live Auction Online, 25th November 2020)
Sold for £28,125
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: Un-Reg
Chassis No: 102817
Motor Car Location: Fife
Daimler launched their new sports car at the 1959 New York Auto show. The company wanted to crack the American market and the styling had transatlantic overtones to suit. It was originally christened Dart, but Daimler quickly succumbed to the threat of legal action from Chrysler's Dodge division and rebranded it SP250. The newcomer was clothed in a tough fibreglass body and built around a traditional cruciform-braced ladder-frame chassis - the initial A specification version of which was sadly lacking in torsional rigidity. By 1960, Daimler was in Jaguar's hands and the so-called B specification SP250s featured a much stiffer frame, equipped with additional outriggers and a strengthening hoop between the B posts. The C specification model of 1963 brought additional creature comforts. The jewel in the car's crown was its engine, a silky smooth 2.5-litre V-8 unit designed by Edward Turner. With 140bhp on tap and a low all-up weight, the Daimler's performance was strong and the sound was one to savour. Suspension was independent with wishbones and coil springs at the front and a live axle hung on leaf springs at the rear. Braking was by hydraulically-operated discs all-round. The Motor test of the period quoted a 0-60mph time of 8.9 seconds and top speed of over 120mph.
For more information, please contact: