Lot details Registration No: F 6176 Chassis No: 335818 Mot Expiry: Oct 2007
Introduced in October 1908, the Model T was based on a high-grade vanadium steel chassis equipped with transverse leaf-sprung suspension and rear-wheel brakes. Powered by a 2890cc sidevalve four-cylinder engine mated to two-speed planetary transmission, it proved singularly adept at traversing unmade roads. Finished in green over black, this particular right-hand drive example appears to be in good overall condition. Reputedly the first commercial vehicle to be registered by Essex County Council, 'F 6176' was supplied to J.W. Pigg's Steam Bakery of Orsett in December 1912. Used as a delivery van, it later passed through the hands of local farmer G. Palmer (October 1918) and the county's second largest Agricultural Merchants, Darby's of Wickford (April 1919) before being reacquired by the Bakery as a potential spares vehicle. Left to languish in a farm shed until 1982 when it was purchased from J.W. Pigg's grandson by Graham Game, 'F 6176' had disintegrated into little more than a rolling chassis. Subsequently treated to a ground-up restoration (including a £920.73 engine rebuild by Tuckett Bros), it remained part of Game's collection for almost two decades. In the current ownership since 2001, the past few years have seen 'F 6176' repainted in the livery of 'F.W. Payne & Son - Established 1894' (a business started by the vendor's great grandfather). Further benefiting from the installation of an alternator, ignition cut-out switch and starter motor, the Model T also sports acetylene lights, a long-necked bulb horn and roof rack. Riding on wooden wheels, this historic 'brass radiator' Model T is offered for sale with MOT certificate valid until October 2007.