Lot details Registration No: GV 188 Chassis No: 17J208 Mot Expiry: March 2005
Morris Motors of Cowley were one of the British motor industry's major players during the prewar years. Owner William Morris - recognised by motoring historians as the man who put Britain on wheels and who was later to become the ennobled Lord Nuffield - progressively added most of his component suppliers as well as rival Wolseley in 1927 to his growing portfolio.
The Morris range became mighty impressive. For in addition to the 1929-launched Isis, which had replaced the Light Six, the cheaper Oxford Six, as well as the Sixteen and Twenty, and the older 1548cc Cowley, Morris also offered a 2-litre 6-cylnder Morris Major, which was renamed the Cowley Six in 1934 and Fifteen Six in 1935.
The Shropshire entrant of the 1930-built Morris Major offered here tells us that he acquired the 6-cylinder engined saloonette in 1996 and believes it to have had a total of only three owners. This fabric-bodied and therefore very rare motor car had been taken off the road in 1970 and had been stored until bought by the present owner who then undertook a complete restoration.
Within the history file, he says, are eleven MOTs (the current test pass certificate being valid until next March), a 1957 RAC card and an insurance certificate from 1951. He tells us that the black paintwork and fabric as well as burgundy interior are in very good condition, with 1939cc 6-cylinder motor and 3-speed manual gearbox also reportedly in very good order.