Sold for £9,562
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: HF 2153
Chassis No: M1484
Mot Expiry: Exempt
The British Swift concern manufactured motorcars in Coventry from 1900 to 1931. Up to 1907, they were powered by proprietary engines from De Dion Bouton etc, but Swift then began making some of its powerplants to the design of Works Engineer William Radford. Following the First World War, the company's model range was simplified with the excellent 1100cc '10' being joined by a 1940cc '12' (M Type) with a four-speed gearbox, some 1,500 examples of which were made before the model was finally superseded in 1925.
This right-hand drive 12hp M Type Open Tourer was manufactured in March 1923. Propulsion comes from a 1943cc side-valve engine and a 4-speed gearbox. Unearthed from a Welsh barn in 1991, where it had resided since being rescued from a farm some years earlier, this is a rare model. The car has been stored well and it’s in running order and taxed for the road. A previous restoration was carried out in 1991 by a professional engineer/enthusiast, who reportedly found the vehicle to have suffered "very little mechanical wear" (suggesting the indicated mileage of 3,294 at that time, could well have been correct) and to be "remarkably well preserved and original". A full restoration was completed in 2013 and the car has covered only 900 miles since that restoration. The 2013 restoration included a re-bore of the 12hp engine with new pistons. The car was repainted Cream with Brown wings and the buttoned interior reupholstered in Brown with the tonneau covers, the hood and carpets all renewed. Offered with the V5C.
For more information, please contact: