Lot details Registration No: UN-REG Chassis No: 81600293 Mot Expiry: None
Affectionately known as the 'Beep' (as in big or beefed-up Jeep), the Dodge ¾ ton WC-series was introduced in 1942. Built at the Fargo Company's former Mound Road premises, its versatile ladder frame chassis could be had in three wheelbase lengths (98-, 114- and 121-inches) and underpinned everything from mobile gun platforms to ambulances via command / radio cars. Equipped with all round long-travel semi-elliptic leaf springs, combat rims (shod with 'High Flotation' tyres) and a New Process part-time four-wheel drive system (with a single-speed transfer case), its off road capabilities were impressive. Powered by Dodge's tried and tested 230ci (3,772cc) L-head six-cylinder engine that prioritised torque over horsepower, top speed was limited to circa 50mph. Used extensively by the Allied Forces during WW2, many WC-series vehicles remained in service with the French, Norwegian, Dutch and Danish Armies until relatively recently.
According to its old Dutch registration document, this particular example is one of the rare and highly desirable WC57 Command Car variants. Distinguished from their WC56 siblings by the presence of a front-mounted winch, a mere 6,010 WC57s are thought to have been manufactured. Seemingly last used on the road in 1990, it has been in dry storage since coming to the UK approximately eight years ago. Finished in khaki green, it retains various rear-mounted tools (axe, pickaxe, spade) but seems to be missing its upholstery.
PLEASE NOTE: The upholstery for this car is now fitted and it has been running and driving at the sale.