Lot details Registration No: 494 UXS Chassis No: TS77140 Mot Expiry: June 2017
Triumph's TR series began with the unveiling of a prototype (retrospectively called the TR1) at the 1952 London Motor Show. Trials revealed poor handling, however, and the design was not progressed and the new, much improved TR2 was launched the following year. Its two-seater body was mounted on a substantial separate chassis, while suspension was independent by coil springs at the front and live axle hung on leaf springs at the rear. The TR3 of 1955 was a direct evolution of the TR2. With it came minor styling revisions, a slight hike in power and the options of an occasional rear seat and bolt-on steel hard top. In 1956 the front brakes were changed from drum to disc units. The final iteration, the TR3A, appeared in 1957. It was instantly recognisable by its wider front grille, exterior door handles and lockable boot handle. It continued in production until 1962, by which time 58,236 are said to have been built. Contemporary road tests achieved 0-60mph acceleration times of some 11.5 seconds and a mean top speed of a whisker under 110mph.
The 1961 'home market' example being sold is understood to have had just two previous keepers from new and to have been extensively restored around a new chassis over a five year period by a suitably qualified motor engineer. Every panel and component was evidently either replaced or refurbished, the 2130cc engine overhauled and equipped with a stainless steel exhaust system, the brakes and steering systems refurbished, the bodywork treated to a £5,000 bare metal respray, the brightwork rechromed, and new wire wheels installed. Finished in the attractive combination of Powder Blue bodywork and White-piped Black interior trim, '494 UXS' comes complete with overdrive gearbox, new hood, tonneau, side screens and documented history of the restoration.