Lot details Registration No: UUB 126 Chassis No: B572TN Mot Expiry: Sept 2020
- 1 of just 2,017 Bentley R-Type Standard Steel Saloons made and supplied new to J. Clarke Esq. of Maltby House, Louth
- Service history and MOTs on file dating back to 1970, extensive bodywork restoration in 1987 and well preserved since
- New lightweight clutch and single piece flywheel fitted during current ownership plus attention to the carbs, brakes, suspension and starter etc
- Attractively finished in Champagne over Nutmeg with Brown leather upholstery, regularly used in the current ownership and 'on the button'
Supplied new to J. Clarke Esq of Maltby House, Louth by D.H. & A.H. Bloomer of West St Mary's Gate, Grimsby, chassis B572TN was issued with a factory guarantee on 7th October 1953. Resident in Central London some seventeen years later, accompanying invoices show that the Bentley was treated to a partial bodywork restoration by B.R. Chant Ltd of Sturminster Newton during 1979 and sent to Paddon Bros of Brompton Road SW7 for servicing early the following decade. Purchased by L.H. Hammond from David Barr in 1983, the R-Type underwent a second, more comprehensive bodywork renovation four years later which included new front / rear wings, inner / outer sills, two new doors and attention to its interior. Attractively finished in Champagne Metallic over Nutmeg with Brown leather upholstery, the Bentley's exterior remains notably smart with none of the myriad bubbling and wavy lines often seen on less fortunate R-Types. Frequently used since entering the current ownership during November 2014, the past five years have seen `UUB 126' benefit from work to its front anti-roll bar, gearbox mount, exhaust manifold, brake servo, starter motor and carburettors etc. Sourced from renowned R-Type Continental specialist Padgett Motor Engineers, the lightweight clutch and single-piece flywheel allowed the car to be manoeuvred smoothly and easily during our recent photography session and are said to be a further boon on the open road. Kept `on the button' by its enthusiast vendor with supporting parts invoices from the likes of P&A Wood, Flying Spared and Introcar, this handsome R-Type also boasts a working sunroof and nicely patinated interior. Offered for sale with V5C Registration Document, old MOTs back to 1970, copy chassis records and history file.
Introduced at the 1952 Earl's Court Motor Show, the R-Type was a more spacious evolution of its MKVI predecessor. Powered by a 'big bore' 4566cc straight-six engine allied to either four-speed manual or automatic transmission, the newcomer allied luxurious surroundings to 100mph plus performance.