Lot 56 (Chateau Impney, 9th December 2015)
Sold for £11,812
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: 1990 KZ
Chassis No: B68MD
Mot Expiry: Exempt
- 1 of just 1,202 'Big Bore' 4.5 litre cars made
- Supplied new to Colonel Louis Edge in Northern Ireland
- Previous long term ownership and re-trimmed interior in Beige leather
Bentley's MKVI was the first vehicle ever offered by the company with factory-designed coachwork, and the first to be assembled in Rolls-Royce's Crewe factory rather than the old Derby premises. Its sizeable, X-braced chassis featured hydraulic front brakes and independent coil and wishbone front suspension. Power came from the new six-cylinder unit first seen in the short-lived MKV Saloon. Initially 4257cc but later enlarged to 4566cc (for the rarer `Big Bore' version of which just 1,202 were made), it featured an F-Type alloy head. The adjoining four-speed manual gearbox had synchromesh on all but first gear.
Among the first batch of MKVIs to be fitted with the larger and more powerful 4566cc `Big Bore' engine, chassis B68MD was manufactured during July 1951. Reportedly supplied new to Colonel Louis Edge in Northern Ireland, the Bentley still sports its original number plate - 1990 KZ - but was re-registered with the English authorities on 6th March 1963 (or so its V5 registration document implies). Said to have been restored during the 1990s but to now require some TLC to its bodywork, this increasingly sought after `Big Bore' MKVI is finished in Black over Cream with a re-trimmed Beige hide interior.