Lot 45 (The Pavilion Gardens, 13th April 2005)
Sold for £4,725
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: VGP159F
Chassis No: PIJ507488W
Mot Expiry: April 2006
Jaguar founder Bill Lyons, later knighted Sir William, launched a new generation of more compact saloons in 1956, when he discarded the separate chassis in favour of unitary-construction, the first of the line being the 2.4-litre saloon. A year later, a 3.4 version joined the Mk1 range, proving to be a sensation in terms of offering very high performance from a luxury model. From 1959, an even more rapid 3.8 Mk2 version appeared, whilst the legendary 3442cc capacity XK engine was also employed under the bonnet of the restyled and renamed 3.4 Mk2 with more shapely wings.
This right-hand drive 340 first left Jaguar's Coventry factory in 1968. Finished in blue with red leather, it has a webasto sunroof and a three-speed automatic transmission. The latest MOT will be valid until next March, whilst the 70,400 mileage displayed when entered is believed by the entrant to be the genuine total.
The chassis is rated as good with blue painted body fair and interior good. Both 3.4-litre six and auto-box are reportedly in good order and electrical equipment OK. The vendor claims that VGP 159F is good, solid and useable, and has a decent history file.