Lot 31 (Imperial War Museum Duxford, 14th October 2015)
Sold for £2,812
(including buyers premium)
To include -
1. The 'Whisper' mascot - Produced after John Walter Edward Scott-Montague, the second Lord Montague of Beaulieu, commissioned his friend Charles Sykes to sculpt a personal mascot for the bonnet of his Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost; Sykes chose Eleanor Thornton as his model, her being the secret love & secretary of Lord Montague. Sykes set about crafting the figurine of her in fluttering robes, pressing a finger against her lips, symbolising the secrets of their love. The figurine was consequently christened 'The Whisper' & was reputedly optionally fitted to other 40-50HP Silver Ghost cars of the c1911 - 1914 period. This example, offered in very good condition, features silver plating over the bronze base metal, with Charles Sykes signature.
2. A good solid nickel Spirit of Ecstasy mascot, as fitted to Rolls-Royce 20HP motorcars. Signed to the base 'C. Sykes', 'Rolls-Royce Ltd' and patent dated '6-2-1911', correctly featuring under-wing markings which were introduced after 1918, offered in good condition.
3. A rare 'Winged Lady' accessory mascot by Augustus and Emile Lejeune, constructed of bronze with good silver plating, this rare accessory mascot mimics the famous 'Spirit of Ecstasy' by Charles Sykes and was fitted to many Rolls-Royce cars in period by owners that preferred its design to the factory mascots. Marked 'AEL Copyright', display base mounted and offered in very good condition. 7" tall.
4. A scarce Spirit of Ecstasy mascot as fitted to Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom I motorcars. Signed to the base 'C. Sykes', 'Rolls-Royce Ltd' and patent dated '6-2-1911', correctly featuring under-wing markings, offered in good condition, with all correct dating features.
5. A solid nickel silver Spirit of Ecstasy mascot, as fitted to Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP late-model Silver Ghost motorcars. Signed to the solid base 'C. Sykes', 'Rolls-Royce Ltd' and patent dated '6-2-1911', offered in very good condition.
6. A very good 'hollow base' Rolls-Royce Spirit of Ecstasy mascot, as fitted to 1912 - 14 40/50HP Silver Ghost models. Signed `C. Sykes', correctly featuring no under-wing markings, A superb example.
7. A 'Franklin Mint Precision Models' 1/8 scale model of the 1907 Silver Ghost AX201.
8. A Miniature Spirit of Ecstasy Presentation-Size Mascot, Also known as the 'retirement' mascot, silver-plated bronze construction and offered in very good condition.