Lot 31 (The Pavilion Gardens, 13th April 2005)
Sold for £13,500
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: RJ 7270
Chassis No: 9653
Mot Expiry: Aug 2005
With the assistance of the Midland Bank and £1,500,000, John D Siddeley, who had taken control of Armstrong-Siddeley only two years earlier, launched his first model in 1928. Initially of 1236cc capacity, though bored out to 1431cc to boost performance from 1931, the new 12hp six had separately mounted gearbox, cast-iron torque tube and banjo-type pressed steel rear axle. The indoor 3-in-1 test hill, which was constructed inside the Parkside works, was also considered to be extremely advanced in 1929, when in-hose chromium plating facilities were installed.
This Armstrong-Siddeley was manufactured in Coventry in 1937 with four-door limousine landaulette coach-built by Burlington. Originally owned by the CWS of Balloon Street in Manchester and employed as a director's car, RJ 7270 then worked as a Hackney Carriage until 1955 when it became a long-term resident of a lock-up garage, which it outlived!
In present ownership since 1972 and, with a 91,000 total mileage displayed when entered, we understand that the stately right-hand drive car was in a receipt of a complete restoration between 1972 and 1981, while the 3692cc six-cylinder engine was reportedly rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. More recently, in 2004, the driver's seat was reupholstered in brown hide.
Current chassis condition is described as excellent, and body and ivory over brown paintwork good to excellent, with interior, with leather to front and cloth to rear, also excellent. The electrics have been rewired and the four-speed manual gearbox is reportedly in very good order. The latest MOT will be valid until the middle of August, the tax disc until July.