Lot 29 (The Pavilion Gardens, 31st October 2012)
Sold for £25,312
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: WSK 126
Chassis No: 119549008
Mot Expiry: April 2013
The first post-war MG was the TC. It bore great similarity to the pre-war TB and was fitted with basically the same 1250cc OHV XPAG engine. It was superseded by the TD in 1950 which, though visually similar to the earlier cars, was built around a more modern chassis derived from the Y-Type Saloon. The benefits included independent coil-spring front suspension, rack and pinion steering, and smaller 15-inch disc wheels. The newcomer also boasted a hypoid bevel axle, hidden scuttle hoop and twin leading shoe front brakes, and was five inches wider than its predecessor. Some 30,000 TDs had been produced by the time the model was superseded by the TF in 1953 - 23,500 of which went to the USA.
`WSK 126' is an original right-hand drive TD that apparently spent some time in South Africa before being repatriated and treated to a `ground up' restoration. Since then it has evidently become well known on the Midlands show circuit, where it has been a multiple concours winner. The vendor understandably views the bodywork as "excellent" and the Cream paintwork, Red interior trim, engine and gearbox as "very good" and is selling this extremely smart MG complete with photographic record of the work done and an MOT valid until April 2013.