Lot details Registration No: FVD 300 Chassis No: 7241426 Mot Expiry: June 2007
Flagship of the post-WW2 Dagenham range, the Ford V8 Pilot was introduced in 1947. Based on a sturdy ladder-frame chassis equipped with transverse leaf-sprung suspension, rugged beam axles and hydro-mechanical drum brakes, the newcomer could be had in saloon, estate or pick-up guises. Effortlessly fast yet surprisingly comfortable, it was powered by a wonderfully torquey 3622cc 85bhp sidevalve V8 engine allied to three-speed manual transmission. Generously proportioned with a 9ft 0.25in wheelbase and 4ft 10in track, the model's transatlantic styling (waterfall grille, voluptuous wings, moulded spare wheel cover etc) saw it cut quite a dash in austere late 1940s Britain. Although better known as a police pursuit vehicle, the V8 Pilot also achieved competition fame when Ken Wharton drove one to victory on the 1950 Tulip and Lisbon rallies. Despite patronage from the royal family (who took delivery of a bespoke estate version), the Big Ford only stayed in production for four years during which time some 22,155 were made (though, today survivors are comparatively few and far between).
Finished in Mid Blue with beige leather upholstery, this particular example appears to be in good overall condition. The subject of an older restoration, 'FVD 300' still pleasingly retains much of its original interior trim including the bakelite dashboard, silk rope door pulls, Smiths MA 90mph strip speedometer, umbrella handbrake, column gearchange selector and sculpted window surrounds. First registered on 22nd September 1950, the four-door saloon shows an unwarranted 46,389 miles on its odometer. Sporting auxiliary driving lamps, twin exhausts, discreet indicators and a black roof panel, this appealing Ford is offered for sale with MOT certificate valid until June 29th 2007.