Sold for £2,025
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: BFL 946
Chassis No: C723232
Estimate: No Reserve
Motor Car Location: Norfolk
Introduced in December 1948, the new E493A Ford Prefect owed much to its pre-WW2 E93A predecessor. Based around a similar transverse leaf-sprung ladder-frame chassis, it was powered by the same 1172cc four-cylinder side-valve engine mated to a three-speed manual transmission. Sporting a handsomely restyled four-door saloon body complete with front-wing integrated headlamps and a fresh radiator grille design, it utilised 6-volt electrics plus vacuum-operated windscreen wipers. Laid out in the traditional manner, its interior boasted a well-stocked bakelite dashboard and two-tone upholstery. Immensely popular some 192,000 were made over the course of its five-year production run (though, today survivors are comparatively scarce).
Manufactured in 1953, chassis number ‘C723232’ was registered new in the United Kingdom on the 10th of June that year. Supplied new to a Hugh Hovell Esq. and registered to Soke of Peterborough County Council, the Prefect remained with him until passing to its second and sole other keeper in the 1970s. Finished in a light olive colour with brown interior upholstery, the Ford was placed into garage storage in the 1980s. Remaining in the same garage for the subsequent four decades, until being recently unearthed following the passing of the late vendor, the Ford is now requiring restoration or recommissioning and is notably complete. Offered as an exciting prospect, coming to the market for the first time in five decades, as a genuine ‘garage find’ and without reserve. Accompanied by the green ‘buff’ logbook and V5 document.
For more information, please contact: