Sold for £5,625
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: OU 9888
Chassis No: SV7924
Motor Car Location: Conwy
The pre-war Minor was launched to compete with the Austin Seven and was assembled at Morris's Cowley plant from 1929 until 1934, at which time it was replaced by the Morris Eight. The newcomer was ultimately offered in seven guises - five on the standard short wheelbase chassis (6ft 6in) and two on an extended platform (7ft 7in). Two engine types were employed. The earlier and more technically advanced 847cc OHC unit was fitted to all examples made up to January 1931, at which point an equivalent capacity 19bhp side-valve unit was introduced to power a £100 Minor and a range of other economy models. A three-speed gearbox was employed until 1933. Suspension was by semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear and braking by cable-operated drums all round. The model's most successful year was 1932, during which no less than 19,248 of the total 86,318 were built. Even then, the Minor was still outsold by the ubiquitous Austin Seven, production of which continued in one form or another until 1939.
The right-hand drive, side-valve-engined Morris Minor is a two-seat Open Tourer finished in green over black. Offered from a deceased estate, the Minor is presented for sale today as a stalled restoration project. Accompanied by a current V5C which shows two former keepers, ‘OU 9888’ entered current ownership in 2012, when the restoration was started on the Minor. The Minor is also accompanied by the dismantled remains of ‘NV 850’ including chassis, and accompanying paperwork which includes a continuation buff-log book and V5C which shows it has been in same family ownership for the thirty-nine years previously.
Images 1-66 are of 'OU 9888' and parts understood to relate.
Images 67-79 are of 'NV 850' (the donor) and related parts.
For more information, please contact: