Lot details Registration No: DS 9798 Chassis No: 368015 Mot Expiry: Oct 2013
The world long since ran out of new things to say about the Model T (or `Tin Lizzie' as it was affectionately known). Ford was already progressing impressively before the launch of the T in the autumn of 1908, but it was that model which really set the company, and the world, on the move. The statistics are staggering: it was the first car to be mass produced and the first to be manufactured in several countries simultaneously. Production ran for nineteen years, during which time some 16.5 million examples were built. The timing of the T was perfect. It came to market just as motorcars were gaining in interest and acceptance, and sold for less than a wagon and team of horses. It mobilised people the world over and for the first sixteen years of production accounted for no less than 40 percent of all car sales in America - small wonder that it was voted `The World's Most Influential Car Of The 20th Century'. At launch the T was powered by a sidevalve 2.9-litre four-cylinder engine producing some 20hp. It was among the first to have its cylinders cast in one block and the first of all to have a detachable cylinder head. The epicyclic transmission had two forward speeds and a reverse and was controlled by a combination of three foot pedals and lever - a real test for drivers who cut their teeth on modern cars. Over time the factory produced 0-, 2-, 3- and 4-door Roadsters, Tourers, Pick-ups, Coupes, Estates and Saloons. Rolling chassis were sold so any type of body could be crafted by an appropriate coachbuilder.
Manufactured on 30th August 1913, this three-door, four-seater, left-hand drive Tourer belonged to Mr R.W. Marshall of Albuquerque, New Mexico for an impressive sixty years (1931 - 1991). Extensively restored during 1962 and still highly presentable some thirty years later, its first UK owner was John Davies Esq of Wolverhampton. The subject of an engine and transmission overhaul during the early 1990s (or so accompanying correspondence would suggest), the Model T was acquired by Terry Burton-Shelley's family in January 2002 for the princely sum of £15,000. Christened 'Dixie', the Ford was subsequently treated to a new hood and sidescreens, reconditioned radiator, replacement steering wheel, new fuel pump, reset front axle, refurbished speedometer, rejuvenated acetylene tank, bespoke double spare wheel holder, renewed top windscreen and replacement lighting tubes etc. A regular concours entrant with two Gordon Bennett Rally finishes to its credit, 'DS 9798' entered the Litchfield Collection via our 8th December 2004 Buxton auction (Mr Litchfield becoming the third UK keeper). Only occasionally used since then, the Tourer's last MOT certificate was issued in March 2005. Nicely detailed, this Veteran-era Ford Model T is offered for sale with reproduction handbook, assorted expired MOT certificates, history file and current MOT and Tax.