Back to list  Next lot Previous lot
 

Lot 13 (Imperial War Museum Duxford, 18th March 2020)

1956 Bentley S1 Saloon
One owner from new until 2002

Registration No: VRR 40
Chassis No: B123CM
MOT: Exempt

  • One owner from new until 2002
  • Maintained by marque specialists Ristes of Nottingham from 1977 until 2002
  • Recent re-trim and re-paint
  • Renewed brakes, exhaust and carburettor rebuild
  • Electronic ignition
  • Original registration number
  • Comprehensive history file since new with bills
  • Original Bentley guarantee dated 12th September 1956 and sales brochure

Enjoying just one owner from new until 2002, this handsome S1 was maintained by renowned specialists Ristes of Nottingham from 1977 until 2002. The car has recently been treated to a bare metal repaint in Tudor Grey whilst the interior has been retrimmed with St James Red leather. The interior woodwork has also been refurbished, a new headlining fitted, and new carpets installed. Other works have included renewal of the brakes and exhaust tail, fitment of a new bumper, an overhaul of the carburettor and installation of electronic ignition. A service has also been carried out. The vendor advises a replacement engine has been fitted and the old unit will be included in the sale. Said to be in “excellent” condition as regards its bodywork, paintwork, engine, transmission and interior, it pleasingly retains its original registration mark ‘VRR 40’. The car is accompanied by a comprehensive history file from new which includes invoices, the original guarantee dated 12th September 1956 and a sales brochure.

The Bentley S1 was unveiled in April 1955. A very different car from its predecessors, it was longer and wider and based on a much stiffer chassis. Though the traditional body-on-chassis construction facilitated the manufacture of special-bodied versions, most were delivered with the standard offering produced by Pressed Steel Ltd, featuring alloy doors, bonnet and boot lid. Powered by the final iteration of the company's venerable 4.9-litre straight six engine featuring revised cylinder-head porting, power was quoted at 178bhp. As standard, the unit drove through a four-speed automatic gearbox with steering column control. Suspension was independent at the front by wishbones and coil springs and employed a leaf-spring mounted live axle at the rear. Braking was by drums all round. A total of 3,107 examples were produced between 1955 and 1959.

Estimate
£30,000 - £40,000
 

Buyer's Premium applies (subject to a minimum charge and VAT)


 

Do you have an item like this?

If so, contact us for a free valuation by one of our specialists.

Contact Us Today!

 

Images (required)

Drag and drop .jpg images here to upload, or click here to select images.