Sold for £2,300
(including buyers premium)
Registration No: FUN466
Frame No: BB31 5944
Engine No: ZB31 1757
Estimate: £1,250 - £1,750
The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited (BSA) was established in the Small Heath area of Birmingham in 1861 and, as the name suggests, BSA manufactured weapons. Around the turn of the century they started making bicycles and progressed onto motorcycles a few years later. BSA went on to become one of the world's largest producers of motorcycles up until its demise in the early 1970s.
The BSA B31 was introduced in 1945 and was the first new model introduced by the company after the Second World War. Based on pre-war designs, it used a single cylinder four stroke engine that displaced 348 cc (21.2 cu in). It developed an adequate 17 bhp (13 kW), enough to deliver a top speed of around 70 mph (110 km/h) on 1945 roads. Initially, it had a rigid frame and telescopic front forks, the first use of such a set-up on a BSA.
This early B31 has the rigid frame and telescopic front forks together with its sprung single seat, providing a touch more comfort for your rear end. For the last 20 years this BSA B31 has formed part of an enthusiast's private collection of motorcycles from the 1920s through the the 1960s. It looks to have been last registered in 1966 and is now in need of complete restoration. The engine turns and the bodywork appears to be quite solid but it needs to be assumed that a few parts have gone astray over the years. This example is supplied with a continuation buff logbook, however, unfortunately it has never been computerised, so it is without it's V5C. This motorcycle will still make a very good starting point for a concours restoration or even a mechanical rebuild to use as it is.
For more information, please contact: